Empower Employee Career progression with these 5 tips
Everyone who is out there looking for a job wonders about career progression, even if they are a fresher. Well, what exactly does the term career progression mean? In simple words, it means working towards professional goals. They can be different for different people, for example- having one’s own business, becoming the CEO of an organization, and so on. It is one of the top variables in the list of priority of every career-oriented person.
There are times when organizations fail to deploy proper management and strategic systems to develop the path for employee career progression. This often results in losing the crème de la crème of the workforce. The person responsible for hiring i.e. the recruiter should also make the clients realize the vitality of career progression. So, here are 5 tips that will help in empowering employee career progression
- Working thoroughly on job specification: ‘The first impression is often the last impression’, keeping this in mind organizations should focus on clarifying career opportunities in the beginning itself, for present and new recruits. The first meeting of the candidate with the representative of the firm is mostly the deciding factor, whether he will be taking up on the offer or not. It is important to discuss the job he is going to perform, the expectations from him, his chances to grow as an individual, training and development programmes, etc. Transparency is usually the key to attract and retain good talent.
- Emphasizing on projects: Each project requires a different set of skills and such a tactic is a good way to motivate employees to learn new skills through new projects. Though job specification is crucial but engaging in different projects enables the employee to learn on the job and hone their skill sets. The job of the recruiter is to emphasize on the projects meticulously so as to build the employees’ interest.
- Horizontal shift: There are scenarios when talent has to be shifted within the organization maybe say to a different department where there is a human resource need gap. This process of moving talent from one role to another is becoming quite appealing to employee’, as some want to explore new career opportunities. more so in larger organizations. This is a successful strategy where the employee is convinced that instead of quitting, exploring new areas of interest within the company itself is a win-win situation for him. This way the talent is retained and the output remains unaffected.
- Magic of workshops and online courses: Present age is full of technological wonders. A candidate has access to all the information online. There are a variety of courses that help in the development of existing skills and acquiring new . A well-skilled and highly trained candidate is an asset to any company. Furthermore these acquired skills work in favor of employee career progression as well.
- Time to change the perspective: Career progression is not all about moving up the hierarchy rather it is more about an individual’s satisfaction with his professional developments. Organizations often struggle to retain talent and face many challenges while doing so. Therefore, the recruiter should advise using the participative strategy. It creates a sense of growth among the employees. Working together, participation in office events, training programmes, etc. help to do just that. In addition, the process of recruitment becomes easier as candidates are attracted to such an organizational culture.
These tips can be a game changer if used efficiently. The main focus for most employees is career progression and recruiters are usually focused at retaining good employees. Career progression should thus forms the backbone of employee employer relationship.